14 March 2013

More competition success

I had the good fortune to win the set subject round of the final competion of the year at XRR Photographic Society last night (Weds). 

The set subject was 'Power' and my image (250,000 volts) below scored a maximum 20 and was Highly Commended.  My other images in the set subject class scored an 18.
 
'250,000 volts' by John Wood ©2013
The image was taken during a walk out on the Munden Estate which sits between Watford and Brickett Wood in Hertfordshire.

More after the jump.....
We had a wide variety of images shown on the night to reflect the set subject of 'Power', including several other shots of pylons and power lines but I'm glad that mine recevied the judge's preference.

My other shot used in the set subject class was taken of the same pylon but from dirctly beneath it.  I was drawn to the symmetry of the construction of the tower and how the light was falling on the metalwork.  I felt in the case of both images that the conversion to black and white gave them both a strength that was just not there in the colour versions.

'Pylon symmetry' by John Wood ©2013
 One of the other images I included on the night was from another of my personal projects that I have been experimenting with.  I called the image 'Lighting up the night' and it was taken a few weeks ago during an evening trying out new techniques and styles with a fellow photographer.


'Lighting up the night' by John Wood ©2013
 You can read more about that evening's photography and see additional images over on my John Wood Photography Facebook page.  Have a look at the 'Personal Projects 1' album.

I've had some good shoots over the last couple of weeks and have a couple more in the pipeline too. I should be able to post some 'sneak peek' images from recent shhots up soon.

No comments: