11 November 2010

Some autumnal parkland and urban portraiture - part 1

I've just finished editing a set of photos taken at the end of last week from an outdoor portrait shoot I had arranged with AnneT. 

With potentially quite a wet day forecast, I was quite relieved to find just an overcast morning as I arrived at the first location in Cassiobury Park, Watford.  As I was a bit early I had a quick chance to recce a couple of locations in the park before Anne arrived.  The area I had hoped to use which I'd come across the week before and which had a lovely carpet of fallen autumn leaves had been all cleared up so there were no leaves at all!!  Thinking quickly and taking into account the ideas I'd got in my mind for the shoot, I was able to come up with an alternative location in the park which would fit the bill just fine.

Once Anne arrived, we headed up to the area I had in mind and talked over the look I was trying to create.  Anne had brought a selection of outfits and footwear so we'd be able to get a good variety of looks during the session.  Our first location was a long avenue of trees which gave a wonderful autumnal look and just what I was trying to create.

Our first location
We got a few frames here before just a quick and simple switch from one side of the tree to the other gave a bit of a different perspective.  Here's a shot from just the other side of the tree:

A simple change for a bit of a different look
Next we moved just 50 or so yards from our initial location and I was able to get this wonderful warm looking shot under the canopy of trees - even though it was a grey, overcast, cold November morning!

Recreating a sunny autumnal day on what was an overcast morning
After getting a few shots of Anne walking through and kicking up the golden leaf fall, we headed over to a more man made backdrop of a vibrant green wall on one of the park buildings.  I've been wanting to get some shots at this location for quite some time now and this shoot was the perfect opportunity to try out some ideas.

Anne created more of an 'urban chic' look to complement the new location and after setting up some off camera flash, I was able to get shooting.  We got a few bemused looks from several of the dog walkers visiting the park and a group of school children also took a bit of an interest in what we were doing!!

Here are a few shots from the 'green wall' location:

Anne struts her stuff!



A simple splash of off-camera flash to give a bit more kick to the image
For our final location shoot of the day, we headed into the town centre of Watford for an altogether different look but more of that in the next couple of days.......

No comments: